Monday, September 10, 2007

Though Experiment, Part II

I'm back. Went on vacation and just about stayed there. Last I recall we were in the middle of arranging a hypothetical sequel, i.e. The Next 10 Things All Sports Fans Should Blah, Blah, Blah...The first five (or third five depending on how you look at it) were World Cup Soccer, Heavyweight Title Fight in Vegas, Duke-Carolina at Cameron Indoor, Australia-New Zealand Rugby, and the Bassmaster Classic (for the reasoning behind those picks, scroll down). Here then are the next five.

6. The Rose Bowl. Great tradition and festivities and pageantry that stretches well beyond the game and makes this one more than just a sports event. I remember watching the parade from the time I was a kid. I would want to catch it on a year it's hosting the National Championship, though.

7. Canadians v. Maple Leafs. Two of the NHL's oldest and Canada's most beloved teams. Their proximity to each other and there games carry the undertone of cultural and linguistic tensions adds to the rivalry. Too bad you can't still go to Maple Leaf Gardens or the Forum for this one, but the new venues will do as long as the teams are wearing those that are as iconic as anything in sports.

8. Spring Training. I'd like to spend a week in the late winter driving from ball park to ball park to see a whole string of spring games. It's not so much the whole renewal of hope cliche, but the idea of watching guys whole never have cup of coffee in the bigs playing their guts out.

9. The British Open. As a golf guy this is a hard one for me to turn down. Seeing the game played on any of the classic courses would be great, but I'd really love to make it to St. Andrews, Turnberry, Muirfield or Carnoustie.

10. Midnight Madness at UK. College basketball is a religion and the University of Kentucky, sometimes to the point where they love it so much they just about suffocate it. Still, when the university was getting ready to announce the hiring of a new coach last spring, more the 15,000 people logged on to the UK basketball message board. That kind of intensity funneled into a fun, upbeat event like Midnight Madness would have to be a great time.

Well, that's it, although I could easily rattle of a bunch more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the Rosebowl, I'd prefer to see it when the Big Ten (Eleven?) and the Pac-Ten are playing in it. If it happens to be for the National Championship, all the better. But I'm a sucker for tradition.

Hey, that Notre Dame comment was mine. If you're up for it, I'd like to invite you to come out for a game. I can hook you up with a ticket or two and a place to stay. To avoid inviting too much public interest in me, I won't post my e-mail address or other identifying information. But you can easily track me down through George Dohrman (a writer at Sports Illustrated). I'm the guy whose head he kissed after ND upset Michigan in 1993. He can get my info on IrishOnline for you or tell him to contact Jason Kelly for it.

I'll also try to get in touch with George and leave him my information to pass along to you. I'm not interested in intruding, so I'll leave it at that. If you're interested in putting adding another sports experience to your many others, the opportunity is here.

By the way, I really enjoyed the book and your thoughts on being a fan and how it fits in with an otherwise responsible life. I look forward to taking in my own "Top Ten" some day.

Anonymous said...

How 'bout the Stanley Cup Finals! Game 7, in the Meadowlands, with the greatest hockey team, The NJ Devils! Been there, done that and it was awesome!

Denise said...

Yankees/Red Sox in Boston in September. Best if the division or wild card are on the line, which it usually is for one of them these days. What a wild weekend it was this week up there! Go Yankees!!

I would also say a high school football game in Texas somewhere....anywhere.

And, for an of the moment phenom, I would say a Rutgers home game.

Jim Gorant said...

Hey, BK thanks for the invite. I would love to get a game at South Bend one of these days. Just not sure when I'd be able to do it. (Still rebuilding the good will I burned up on the last round.) If I see my way clear I'll definitely call George and have him track you down, although I'm shocked, shocked to hear he was celebrating in the press box.

As for you Devils fans, and I know who you are, eh. A Game 7 would be great, but of course they don't always happen, which makes them kind of tough to play for. And if I did have the chance to go to one I don't think I would pick the team that has consistently, for the last 15 years, done everything possible to make the game as slow, boring and laborious as it could possibly be. Go away Lamareillo!