Wednesday, April 25, 2007

True Loserdom or How I Learned to Love the NFL Draft

The NFL Draft takes place this weekend, and it's the rare sports events that divides sports fans. For some, it's as if not more exciting than a game. Others join the general public in thinking, "Could anything possibly be more boring?" It's sort of like sushi, either you love it or you don't get it—at all.

Sad to admit. I love it. I watch it all day long in small doses, and that's only because I don't want to get caught watching it non-stop. If I could, I have it on from start to finish. True, I like to do other things while I'm watching but I love to watch. Can't say I know exactly what the appeal it, but it's something about hope. It's a day that's filled with nothing but possibility, and that's very encouraging.

Still, I don't know that I would ever want to go watch it live. Those people who sit in the stands all day and cheer are a degree of sick beyond me. I'll admit, as much as I enjoy the draft, it didn't even come close to making my list of 10 Things All Sports Fans Should Do. Maybe if there's sequel??

What am hoping for my Giants this year? I'd like to see them take a left tackle if there's a good one available, maybe Staley from Central Michigan or Ugoh from Arkansas. They need linebackers too, but those guys are more plentiful and they tend to come and go. You can keep a good left tackle for 10 or 15 years and build a team around him. My boys at SI have them going another way in their mock draft but I'm holding out hope.

No matter who the Giants pick, for at least one day, everything about the team will be filled with possibility.

No comments: